Friday, September 11, 2009

If you've ever done a school program, you've had this happen




Richard Thompson (not the Richard Thompson guitar genius but the Richard Thompson cartoon genius, or maybe he is a guitar genius too for all I know) draws Cul de Sac, the wonderful comic strip. He also is a gifted caricaturist and showcases all that and more on his blog.


He posted this strip recently and wow, does it resonate with me. My friend Aaron Fowler and I are putting together a presentation for Wichita area school kids about Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger. He's Woody and I'm Pete. I'm a pale imitation, I know, I know, but anyway...



2 comments:

kancruiser said...

I always loved it when kids asked, "How much money do you make?" I was always honest, but they would have been impressed with $5,000, $50,000 or $500,000.
The "questions" almost always made me grin. You could almost see the gears spinning in their little heads.

Richard said...

Lots of times the kids would ask me: "Do you draw Garfield? " Then eventually they'd ask, "How much money do you make?" and the teacher would shush them, then look expectantly at me, obviously wondering if I was going to answer honestly. And my usual response was, "Not as much as the guy who draws Garfield." And the kids would look disappointed and so would the teacher.