Friday, November 14, 2008

When I'm not studying Eckhart Tolle, here's what I'm doing



A couple of people have asked me lately what I'm up to. (Obviously NOT updating this blog like I should be.)

Wichita Magazine has done some extensive interviewing of yours truly for an upcoming profile. I'm not sure how in the world they'll make me interesting enough to warrant any copy but if Drew Bratcher can't do it, no one can. He's the new editor, fresh from several years as a writer on the well-respected Washingtonian Magazine. I've read some of his pieces for them and am thoroughly impressed. But he's got his work cut out for him on that Crowson story. I'll be launching a new monthly cartoon series for them if all goes according to plan as well, which I'm excited about. All I can say right now is that it involves everyone's favorite rodent hereabouts, the prairie dog.

There is a chance that I'll be working more regularly with KMUW in an as-yet-to-be-defined capacity but probably not including goofy banjo tunes.

One thing I'm very psyched about is the possibility of working in the Wichita schools through the Arts Partners program. As one of their roster of artists I would be doing workshops and presentations for varying age groups on editorial cartooning, the joy of drawing, banjo picking and quantum chromodynamics. Ok, just kidding about the quantum whatever. I've always enjoyed speaking to and working with kids through my frequent ventures as Eagle cartoonist into classrooms.

I'll be appearing at Johnston's Clothiers on Saturday, November 22, from 11 until 2. They've booked me to hang around the store and draw caricatures of hapless customers. I've never done anything like that before so it should be a fun challenge.

On the evenings of November 20, 21 and 22 I'll be accompanying the Newton Chorale in concert for some Stephen Foster tunes, another exciting first. I'm looking forward to blending the banjo with some seriously accomplished vocalists.

I'm also booked for several evenings of Christmas shows as a fill-in out at the original Prairie Rose Chuckwagon, where I'll be replacing one of their musicians who'll be out of town.

My wife Karen, Phil Burress an whoever else shows up will be performing at Watermark Books Cafe this Saturday. Yikes. That's tomorrow. We play from 5 until 7 and it's free.

So those are some of the ways I'm filling my time these days. Plus most mornings I'm appearing on the streets of my neighborhood walking Ollie. Now that's a good gig!

1 comment:

Amy Delamaide said...

In case you needed an idea for a blog post, I tagged your blog in a "6 random facts" round robin letter kind of thing. See details at http://adelamaide.tumblr.com/

Enjoy!